Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Exercise Support for Physical, Spiritual and Financial Benefit(s)


Back in 2001, my girlfriend Peggy (that's her above and to the right, along with her sisters Maureen and Colleen) participated in Avon's Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk. They were among some 3,000 people who trekked from Minneapolis to Chicago to raise funds for the fight against breast cancer. What a workout, and what a good cause!

Yesterday, dailySpark (a blog by SparkPeople, a website that offers nutrition, health, and fitness tools, support and resources) shared a similar story written by an employee and breast cancer survivor:

Having two very active daughters, it was extremely important to me that I maintain energy, inner and outer strength, and a positive outlook while taking on the disease. Exercise was the answer! I found that I not only refueled my body physically, but with each workout, I recharged my mental outlook on how I was taking on my cancer!

My family, especially my daughters, saw how important this was to me, and a week after my first surgery, my daughters asked if we could participate in the upcoming “Making Strides" breast cancer walk. Morgan, my eldest daughter said, “I know how great you feel after you exercise—just think how great you will feel once we complete a walk that fights that nasty disease you had." So instead of resting that day, we all got up early that morning and walked with thousands of other survivors and family members! It was by far one of the best days of my life!

Getting active like this boosts both the body and the cause. And, judging by the smiles, it lifts the spirits, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Want to stay connected? You can subscribe to Change Alive via Feedburner or follow Ilona on Twitter.

0 comments:

Later/Newer Posts Previous/Older Posts Return Home

Search Our Site

Legal Notice

The information presented on this web site is based on news reports, medical and government documents, and personal analysis. It does NOT represent therapeutic prescription or recommendation. For specific advice and information, consult your health care provider.

Comments at Change Alive do not necessarily represent the editor's views. Illegal or inappropriate material will be removed when brought to our attention. The existence of such does not reflect an endorsement.



This site contains at times large portions of copyrighted material not specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This material is used for educational purposes, to forward understanding of issues that concern veterans and military families. In accordance with U.S. Copyright Law Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit. More information.